Firstly I want to begin this post by explaining its purpose, about three weeks ago via twitter I discovered a Facebook event organised by the lovely Anita from Plus confidence
From my understanding it is a movement trying to encourage as many bloggers as possible to put up similar posts dealing with issues with confidence and self love all on the same day 30th June 2014. As soon as I found the event I knew it was something that I wanted to be a part of because one of my passions in life is to promote a healthier body image for girls to aspire to and to teach girls and boys about how to truly love yourself.
I will start my post by saying, I dont love myself, it may seem odd and stupid to be admitting to this after just saying that its what I want to teach but I need to be truthful and honest if I am going to make this post matter. I am 21 years old and have struggled with confidence and self acceptance all of my life, I have suffered with anxiety and panic for at least the last ten years although I know in my heart it is much longer than this, however at this point I want to ensure that this isn’t a woe is me post about how tough life has been because for every tough and horrible moment a moment of joy and peacefulness is there to act as a counter balance. I just feel like giving some back ground is the best way to give an understanding to my thought processes and how I have now come to accept myself and love all my flaws.
Confidence by definition is full trust, belief in powers, belief in oneself and ones powers and self reliance
We where asked as part of this event to share an image where you have felt confident and for me this image is probably one of my favourite images of myself that I have. The reason being that I was at a point in the year where although I was stressed trying to get all my assignments in for the next few weeks but for a couple of hours I was focused on portraying myself as a designer for the Unify competition. Although I didn’t end up in the top 3 I was so pleased to have made it top 6 and to get the chance to have some images taken for local press. I was confident here because I was doing what I love, I was at a point of the year where I could see any end. I believed in my designs and was starting to get so much positive feedback that I knew I was doing the right thing. My journey to get into my fashion course was a long and sometimes very strained one that to be at the point I am now I never saw coming.
As I previously mentioned body confidence is something I really struggle with so for me having my photo taken is a bit of an ordeal, I have always preferred to be behind the camera instead of in front ( unless I am controlling it) I think that even being plus-size you can still feel intimidated by plus size models in magazines, even the models that are supposed to be aimed towards me are still a body type that I cannot relate to, every model that I see is still five foot nine and a size twelve to fourteen. I am five foot eight and a size sixteen to twenty four dependent on brand and cut.I called this post the wrong kind of fat because that it how society makes me feel, even being in a niche market such as plus-size I still dont fit what society wants me to conform to. I still find myself struggling to find models I can relate to, I however have taken to online blogs to find my own inspirational figures which for me include:
Tess Munster – http://tessmunster.com/
Another big part of finding inspiration for me is instagram, I have found so so many beautiful confident plus-size women through the hastag #effyourbeautystandards. I know myself that I have a long way to go with securing my confidence levels but I have come up with 5 simple points that have helped me:
1. Wear what makes you happy– apple shape pear shape hourglass whatever ! wear what you feel happy in because when something makes you feel happy you will be at your most confident if you dont like something it will immediately show through your attitude and face.
2. True confidence comes from within- as cliche as it sounds you have to start from the inside out when trying to improve your confidence levels, if like me anxiety has a huge part to play in your confidence levels ensure that you have your anxiety controlled before you can even begin to work on your confidence levels. For me its a simple as pre-planning an outfit the day before or taking half an hour out of my day to do something for myself
3. Surround yourself with good people– to many times in my life I have had negative people around me and I believe you really absorb your energies from what you have around you
4. You get back what you put out- One of my strongest beliefs in life is that you get back everything that you put out. If you are negative then negativity will find you whereas being confident and positive even when you aren’t feeling it will slowly but surely help improve your mood
5. eff your beauty standards- As I previously mentioned effyourbeautystandards is a great online movement, spreading the message that we have to ignore societys pre set beauty standards and find our own. society is stuck in a size 0 world and unfortunately despite best efforts I feel like it will take a long time to change so we have to do our best to show that you can be any size, shape, colour, gender, religion, sexual orientation whatever and you can still being amazing and beautiful!
I hope that this post was helpful to you guys I am going to make confidence post a regular thing on my blog but I wanted to use this bloggers unite challenge to begin this journey with you guys.
If you want any more information please email me or check out the links down below
Until next time, bye guys! xo